HAP for FASD Meeting January 17, 2012
January 17th2012 Houston Area Partnership FASD Meeting Minutes
- Present Members: Melinda, Kim, Judy, Holly, Grier, Katherine, Dori
Via phone: Katherine
Not Present: Jeff, Halle, Dori, Morenike
Review of Minutes: October & November meetings approved by group.
Announcements: The state FASD committee through TOPDD that Melinda participates in will meet again next month. Dr. Quintero and Dr. Almeda conducted a focus group at Santa Maria Hostel in Houston.
- Sustainability: Melinda re-discussed the presentation to the board of directors of the Friends of MHMRA. The board is supportive of HAPforFASD’s mission and goals. They had concerns about becoming a temporary 501c3 for our committee and would need to be partners in our work. They would like a formal proposal on where funds would be coming from and what we would use them for. Any monies given to friends would belong to the friends board; and would have final approval of how funds to be used. They would also require that one of our members would sit on board of directors for Friends of MHMRA. Group discussed the main reason to establish a 501c3 last year. Motion made by group to stop discussions about establishing this for the group and work with the Council on the future conferences and efforts. Melinda will send thank-you letter to Friends Board.
- Public Awareness: www.hapforfasd.org Morenike sent e-mail about adding new dates for parent support group for 2012 to website. Dates were e-mailed to entire group today. Motion made to keep website and Dori will donate the money if there is none left over from past funds. Holly will check what is available that is ear marked for conference.
- Parent Group: November 4 parents and December 2 parents showed up. One new parent meeting showed up who had heard of meeting from the ARC website. Even though numbers are low, the best meetings are when parents are able to just connect. 2012 meetings were set and group divided dates as best they can. Holly will be sure sign-in sheets are available for each meeting no matter who is present.
- Strategic Trainings: Group discussed having 1-2 trainings/year to target specific audiences (parents/professionals). Holly discussed the Councils’ current training program and how HAP for FASD could use similar format. Holly will check on pricing for smaller venue space within the council. All agreed to start with 1 presentation for 2012. Grier will e-mail parent group about possible September 28thtraining and ideas for speakers.
Resource List Update: None
Other Business: None
February meeting will be 2/21/12 9:30 at MHMRA Conference Center.